Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cake, Anyone?






So, I'm working with the cake. Trying to make it behave. I originally imagined that it would be a lemon chiffon cake, but kept finding yards of lilac and pink fabric at every turn. With a sigh, I abandon my original goals, and start trying to dress the cake. Its like trying to stuff an unruly and nap-deprived 2-year-old into dress clothes though, and tights that don't fit. Maybe you've seen the unfortunate foundation that was fondly dubbed 'The Melting Cake' --- but this is one beast that may have won. I set it down for today, even though I'm way behind schedule. Nothing good ever came though, from forcing a cake before its done baking! I am having better luck with the Toasta, and with my Bad Eggs. Check out the 'Busy In The Kitchen' photo album to see some of the things I've been working on!





If this blog is new to you, then I'll explain. I am creating an installation where all the pieces are created using fabrics, furs, and all manners of textiles. 'The Kitchen Goddess Goes To Work' is an exhibit about the evolution of the 1950s housewife as she gradually leaves her post by the mixing stand and ventures out into the workworld. It is intended to be a tounge-in-cheek look at women's roles in the kitchen and how it's all changed.

No comments: