Sunday, March 2, 2008

Does Domestic Bliss Come In Polka Dots?


I've been busy putting the final touches on my installation for the upcoming kitchen goddess show this week... that's right! THIS WEEK! ALREADY! HOLY COW! ...and in between full-fledged freak-out attacks and naps prompted by total exhaustion, I've been giving a lot of thought to the whole kitchen goddess concept that I've been building.


While the whole premise of the show is humorous, whimsical and while standing at a green satin stove with furry stove elements, downright silly, there's some real beef to the women who've stood there before me, making statements about women, working and happiness. I had the chance to talk last weekend at length with Deserea (seen above, luminous and fetching in blue polka-dotted confection created by designer Jenna Gandy), about the modern-day balancing act between working, being a wife and mother, and somehow, trying to find happiness. I think Deserea's words pretty much say it all:
"I was once the happy housewife ignorantly blissful in my own world, until one day I found out that through all the struggles of being a young mother, trying to balance children, housework and somewhere in the midst of all that finding time to breathe, that nothing I did would ever be enough..."
Like many modern-day supermoms, Deserea discovered that even carefully balancing everything and still appearing capable left her no room for herself and her own pursuits. Now a single mom doing it all on her own, she found she had to carve out the space for her own passions, in order to find happiness.
"I had to completely re-make myself, and realized that it was time for me to live my dreams. I went back to school, started my own photography and graphic design business (http://jupiterimaging.multiply.com/) and accomplished many goals! Every day is a step by step process of balancing, and anytime anything gets added to my plate- I have to rebalance. I have learned to be strong and to stand tall no matter what, even when it gets hard and I feel like I am stretched to the finest. I adore the women that went before us, they had way more to balance, yet somehow they were able to make it work so well. If I could go back in time I would learn as much as I could from these super women! I am a modern day supermom to many of my friends, but I can't tell you that it's easy to do so much, a woman could go out of her mind if she wasn't me..."

Now friends, you try doing all that while looking as radiant as Deserea, Kitchen Goddess Extrordinaire!

No comments: